The mission of the Greater Largo Library Foundation is to support the Largo Public Library through cultivating funding resources and advocating for the Library to enhance innovative library services for the community’s educational and social enrichment.
In 2002, Largo’s elected and civic leaders committed themselves to the community’s future by moving forward with plans to build an ambitious 90,000 square-foot, state of the art library to replace the overcrowded building that had served so well for nearly 30 years.
Taking the lead in this undertaking was the Greater Largo Library Foundation, the not-for-profit organization that had for nearly 20 years acted as the recipient of gifts and bequests to the library. The Foundation raised $1.9-million in a fundraising campaign to support the new library’s construction. They exceeded the goal with an unsurpassed demonstration of the community’s support for the Library.
Today, the Library is preparing for the next exciting phase in its development – Community Outreach Services. This program is going to take traditional library service to the people in Largo who need it most, people of all ages who, for whatever reason, can’t get to the library. Last year, the Foundation kicked off a campaign to raise $695,000 to fund a Bookmobile, which includes the purchase of the vehicle and support for its ongoing operating costs for the next five years.
Your Support In Action – Improved Access to Library Services
- The Bookmobile – Coming Soon – 2017!
- English Language Learning – Workbooks for Teachers and Students and Learning Lab
- Mobility Scooters – Access for Library patrons with Mobility Challenges
- Book Shelves – Children’s Wing, Teen Room and Displays
- Story Porch Listening Station – Where Children Increase Reading Comprehension
- Idea Lab – A Maker’s Space Equipped with a 3D Printer
- Update to the Sound System in the Jenkins Community Wing